About Richard W. Weinthal
Richard Weinthal was admitted to the California bar in 1975. After practicing in nearly every area of law, including state and federal civil and criminal law as a trial and appellate lawyer, and in both state and federal courts, representing plaintiffs and defendants, he now focuses his practice on appellate consulting. He first met the rigorous standards of The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization to become a certified specialist in appellate law in 2002, and has maintained that certification continuously since then.
Trial attorneys who partner with Richard attest to his mastery of legal research techniques, attention to detail and in-depth familiarity with appellate procedure. His diverse background means he understands all aspects of a case, giving trial attorneys an advantage at all points in the process.
Richard is a recognized leader in appellate law in the San Diego area. He has been invited to lecture on winning civil appeals and strategies by the North County Bar Association. Richard is a former member of the California Appellate Defense Counsel's board of directors and former president of the San Diego Chapter of California Appellate Defense Counsel.
Trial attorneys often bring in appellate counsel to take over when their cases go before a court of appeal, without considering the alternative of remaining attorney of record while consulting off the record with an appellate specialist, or associating the appellate specialist as co-counsel. My special training combined with my extensive experience in civil, criminal, state and federal appeals uniquely qualifies me to become engaged at any point in the process — before, during or after trial — and provide a range of consulting services. To a greater degree than substituted appellate counsel, a consulting appellate specialist works closely with the trial attorney and draws upon his or her firsthand, personal knowledge of the trial court proceedings, for the most efficient and effective handling of the appeal.
To learn more about Richard's experience and credentials, please review his profile below.
Areas of Practice
- California civil appeals
- Research, writing and consulting in California civil cases
Certified Legal Specialties
- Appellate Law, State Bar of California continuously since , 2002
- California, 1975
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2005
- University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1974
- University of California, Santa Barbara, California
- B.A. - 1970
- Major: Psychology
- Respect the Appellate Process and Do Not Worry About Sanctions , North County Lawyer, September, 2016
- Zagami, Inc. v. James A. Crone, Inc. , 160 Cal.App.4th 1083 (4th Dist. Court of Appeal 2008)
- Adrian v. Adrian, 2012 WL 967659 (4th Dist. Court of Appeal 2012)
- Presented: Winning Civil Appeals Strategies, North County Bar Association, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association, 2016
- California Appellate Defense Counsel, 2016
- Former member of Board of Directors, California Appellate Defense Counsel
- Former president, San Diego Chapter of California Appellate Defense Counsel San Diego County Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- 1987 TO 1993: Borton, Petrini & Conron, Associate
- 1994 TO 1997: Solo civil litigation practice, including personal injury and business litigation, primarily in state courts. In addition, handled multiple indigent criminal appeals, under appointment by the Fourth District Court of Appeal through Appellate Defenders, Inc. Achieved “independent” status while on the Appellate Defenders, Inc. panel
- 1997 TO 2016: Built solo appellate litigation practice, handling primarily criminal appeals during 1997 and primarily civil appeals during 1998-2016. Achieved “independent” status while on the Appellate Defenders, Inc. panel. Developed a high level of proficiency in legal writing at the state appellate level, and computerized legal research. Certified continuously since 2002 by the State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization as a Specialist in Appellate Law.
- Alpha Epsilon Pi